1. Grown up Christmas List: Amy Grant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmF2rsDHOZc
I may never have believed in Santa Claus but man I LOVE this song, gets me every time. I like, that, in the season that promotes peace and God's deepest love for us, someone examined what that love would look like in the world. "No more lives torn apart, that wars would never start and time would heal all hearts. Everyone would have a friend, and right would always win and love would never end." How can you not be moved to tears?
2. Silver Bells: Anne Murray: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLsr4kLBgA
I love everything about this tune. The words, the melody, it just captures everything about the Christmas season (on the materialistic side of things that is). My favorite line? "as the shoppers rush home with their treasures." I've been thinking a lot about how if I ever have a family, I want to take my kids to deliver presents to the less fortunate so they have an accurate example of who SC really was, but still, i LOVE this song.
3. It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Andy Williams (who else?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFtb3EtjEic
It IS the most wonderful time of the year, and I confess I love the holiday's for all the reasons: Jesus, presents, lights, the weather, family gathering: there's just nothing bad about it and this song says let's celebrate this with this fabulous little ditty.
4. Baby, It's Cold Outside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTNheCEUP_A
Even though we don't live in a world where it's considered scandalous to sleep over at a man's house, this song still has 100 + versions and I never get tired of it. I only wish "maybe just a cigarette more," was left out because I HATE smoking. That's another thing that's changed from back then, we know what smoking does to people.
5. Let it Snow Let it Snow Let is Snow!: Vaughn Monroe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTQqpYBHQ8
I think this is the most romantic Christmas song and all the words make me long for a honey to snuggle with, that and I've been watching Die Hard since the first grade and we always loved how 1 and 2 ended with Reginald VelJohnson's version, which, to this day, is the only version worth listening to.
6. It's Beginning to look a lot like Christmas: Johnny Mathis (again, who else?) http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIfsWHqfWkI
The words prepare us for the coming season and reminds us of all the pleasures of Christmas just around the corner. I'd like to note that stores should probably start playing this song around mid-October since that's when they start to bring out the decorations.....
7. Sleigh Ride: The Ronnettes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa-hTXE72G0
Again, this song makes me want to be in a relationship, and also, makes me wish I had a friend named Farmer Grey who hosts said sleigh rides and brings me coffee and pumpkin pie :)
8. I'll be Home for Christmas: Frank Sinatra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obiqf69MRLo
It's a sad song; "I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams" but boy does it perfectly capture the family aspect of the season. I loved celebrating Christmas with my Grandma McArthur, Uncle John, Uncle Jim, Aunt Donna and my cousin Bram. We laughed a lot and opening presents together was always a fun event.
9. Rockin Around the Christmas Tree: Brenda Lee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6xNuUEnh2g
Brenda Lee's version is the ONLY version of this song to listen to. I think we all agree we have Home Alone to thank for it too. Not only does this song make me want to literally rock around a Christmas tree, it also makes me want to watch Home Alone, well played movie producers, well played.
10. White Christmas: White Christmas cast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-IidmcSN8
I feel like I don't even have to say why this song rounded out the list. It's one of my favorite Christmas movies and there are many great versions: though none as great as the final scene in Irving Berlin's White Christmas.
11. The Christmas Song Nat King Cole (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOszvL9lgSs
No one does this song like my man Nat King Cole. Someday I will sit on a rug in front of a fire with my love, in a cabin as the snow falls outside.
So what are your favorites? :)